Turkish style baked eggs with tomatoes
This Turkish style baked eggs with tomatoes is a warming and versatile dish, and just as delicious eaten for a weekend breakfast as it is for a light dinner. The Turkish eggs cook gently in the spiced tomato sauce and to finish, just dollop over some cooling yoghurt.
Serve with a good bread to mop up the tomato sauce.
Whilst the browned butter is optional, it really is worth the extra effort!
This recipe is taken from my first cookbook, In One Pot: Fresh Recipes for Every Occasion, W&N, 2013.
Photo courtesy of Simon Wheeler.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tin tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- 30g unsalted butter (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas 4
- Place an ovenproof saucepan or frying pan over a medium heat, Add the oil and the onions along with a little salt and gently fry until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute or so, taking care not to let them get too brown.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, cumin seeds, paprika, salt and pepper and simmer gently for 15 minutes or so, letting the sauce reduce and thicken, but stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, Finally, stir in the coriander.
- Make 4 wells in the sauce with a wooden spoon and crack an egg into each. Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes, or until the yolks are still a little soft but the whites are cooked.
- If making the browned butter, melt the butter in a small saucepan on a very low heat until you see little golden brown flecks on the surface of the butter (these are the milk solids beginning to caramelise and this is what gives the butter a lovely, nutty flavour). Remove immediately from the heat so it doesn’t brown.
- Take the eggs out of the oven and spoon onto the plate. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt, a sprinkle of sumac and a drizzle of browned butter (if using) on each serving.