Spring Salads and Vegetables
Sweet potato fritters with turmeric hummus
Serve these sweet potato fritters with a bundle of herbs such as flat-leaf parsley, mint and coriander – to eat like a loose salad.
…the huge range of colours, flavours and textures that come from plant ingredients – spices, herbs, vegetables, nuts and legumes – is worth celebrating in its own right.
This recipe originally appeared in the April 2020 edition of House and Garden magazine. Photo courtesy of Simon Bajada.
For the fritters:
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 20g coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp grated ginger
- 3tbsp self-raising flour
- 2tbsp lime juice
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the hummus:
- 600g cooked chickpeas (Navarrico jarred giant chickpeas are the softest)
- 3tbsp tahini paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- half lemon, juiced
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tsp grated fresh turmeric
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp nigella seeds
- Large bunch parsley, mint and coriander
- Heat the oven to 150°C/fan oven 130°C/mark 2. Mix together all the ingredients for the fritters(except the oil) in a bowl and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. If the mixture seems a little dry, add a splash of water – it should be sticky, but not wet.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Scoop a large spoonful of the mixture and roll it in your hands, then press into a plump patty shape. Place this in the pan and repeat with a few more spoonfuls of mixture. Try not to overcrowd the pan – it is easier to cook the fritters in batches.
- After a few minutes cooking on one side, flip them over and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove to a dish and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest, adding more oil to the pan with each batch.
- Next, make the hummus. Using a blender, pulse all the ingredients (except the lemon juice) with plenty of freshly ground black pepper until smooth, adding water to create a loose sauce. Taste for salt and lemon and adjust as necessary.
- Serve the warm fritters with a large dollop of hummus, the nigella seeds and a bunch of herbs, still on the stem.