Year Round Salads and Vegetables
Glazed Miso Aubergine
This glazed miso aubergine is a good vegetarian or vegan dish and the aubergine flesh tastes almost meaty when cooked with the miso. Miso has an extraordinary depth of flavour and can be used in all sorts of dishes as dressings, sauces, marinades and glazes. Use the best aubergines you can find – I use either the round Violetta varieties or the longer kind, but make sure the skin is taut and the flesh is firm.
This recipe originally appeared in the October edition of House & Garden magazine. Photograph courtesy of Nassima Rothaker.
- 3 large or small aubergines
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or sesame oil
For the glaze
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 g white or red miso (see note left)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat the oven to °C/ fan oven °C/mark . Cut each aubergine in half lengthways and score the flesh in a crisscross pattern about cm deep. Sprinkle over a few pinches of salt.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting tin and roll the aubergine halves in the oil, finally laying them flesh side down. Roast for – minutes until completely soft.
- In a saucepan, mix together all the ingredients for the miso glaze and heat gently, stirring.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven, turn them over so they are flesh side up and spread the glaze over the surface.
- Heat the grill to full and grill the aubergines for about minutes until the glaze is bubbling