Fried egg on avocado with herbs and chilli
Slices of (stale) baguette, soaked in almond milk and egg and sweetened with honey, cinnamon and cloves. If I have time (and leftover baguette), I make this in the morning to have with a coffee. (Which obviously I put almond milk in too, having now entirely neglected keeping my fridge stocked with fresh cow’s milk!).
- A large bunch of mixed herbs (coriander, basil, parsley, mint, dill or fennel all work well)
- Half a ripe avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp chipotle chilli paste (or alternatively use half a deseeded, finely chopped red chilli)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 egg
- Half a clove of garlic
- Finely chop the herbs and put them in a bowl with the avocado, lime juice, chilli and salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of olive oil and lightly mash together using fork.
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and crack in the egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn down the heat to allow the egg to fry gently for a couple of minutes until the white is set and the yolk still runny.
- Rub the toast with a little garlic and sprinkle with salt. Spread the avocado over the toast and top with the fried egg.