During the summer, my garden produces an abundance of courgettes. Big or small, a great way to use them is fried into crisp chips.
Serve courgette fritti with drinks as an elegant antipasti, or for a deliciously seasonal alternative to potato chips to accompany grilled steak or fish.
Serves 4 as a small plate
This recipe originally appeared in House and Garden magazine.
- 4 small courgettes
- 200g 00’ flour
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp fine sea salt
- 450ml warm water
- 2 egg white
- 2 litres sunflower oil or light olive oil
- Flaked salt to serve
- Mix the flour, oil, salt and water to make a batter. Set aside for 20mins.
- Cut the courgettes into thin batons.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter. Heat oil in a deep pan or wok and test with a drop of batter – it should sizzle and turn brown in a few seconds.
- Dip the batons in batter and drop into the hot oil, small batches at a time.
- Fry for a minute until golden and scoop out onto kitchen towel then do the next batch.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.