Chermoula chicken with potatoes and tomatoes
This recipe originally appeared in House & Garden magazine
20g flat leaf parsley
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 chicken legs, thighs attached
1kg large, waxy potatoes, peeled
500g large tomatoes
100g Kalamata olives
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/fan oven 160˚C /mark 4
- Put the herbs, garlic, cumin, paprika and oil into a blender with a teaspoon of salt and some ground black pepper. Blend to a paste.
- Cut four slits in each chicken piece and put them in a bowl. Add all of the Chermoula paste and rub it into the chicken.
- Cut the potatoes and the tomatoes into ½ cm discs.
- Choose an ovenproof dish large enough to fit all the chicken pieces in one layer, with room underneath for two or three layers of potatoes.
- Pour a little oil in the bottom of the dish and spread the potatoes and tomatoes into layers, seasoning with salt and pepper and scattering with olives.
- Lay the chicken pieces, and any extra sauce, over the potatoes. Drizzle with a little more oil and bake on the lower shelf of the oven for 1½ to 1¼ hours. The chicken skin should be crisp and brown and the potatoes tender to the point of a knife.
Serve with: herb salad: rocket, little gem and leaves of coriander, mint and parsley, seasoned and dressed with Extra-virgin olive oil and lemon.