Blood orange, fennel, feta and olive salad
Blood oranges come into season in late winter and their bright colour is always welcome in my kitchen at this time of year. This salad is very simple to compose and yet looks so pretty and bright, it would cheer up any table. I find the salty feta and olives taste so good with the fresh, aniseed flavour of the fennel and sweet oranges.
- 4 blood oranges
- 2 heads fennel
- 170g feta
- 100g kalamata olives, stoned
- 2tbsp mint leaves, torn
- 1tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 3tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- With a sharp serrated knife, remove the skin and pith from the oranges and cut down between the segments to make thin wedges.
- Cut the fennel into thin strips lengthwise (ideally using a mandolin).
- Slice the feta and break into pieces.
- Toss these ingredients in a bowl with the olives, mint, vinegar and oil and season well.