Summer Recipes Fruit Cakes
1 bay leaf
Baked apricots with raspberries
Sugar quantities will vary depending on the sweetness of the fruit, so do adjust as necessary.
This recipe originally appeared in House & Garden magazine, photo courtesy of Helen Cathcart
1 bay leaf
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
100ml rosé wine
6tbsp caster sugar
9 ripe apricots (approx. 750g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the wine, sugar, bay leaf and vanilla pod in a small saucepan and slowly bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar. After a minute of boiling, remove from the heat.
- Halve the apricots by cutting along the natural indentation on the fruit.
- Remove the stones. Lay the apricots cut side down in a baking dish and pour over the wine mixture, including the vanilla pod and bay leaf, tuck these amongst the fruit.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, the timing will depend on the ripeness of the fruit and you can test them occasionally by inserting a skewer. It should meet no resistance. Remove from the oven and scatter the raspberries over the top so that they warm through in the residual heat.
Carefully lift the fruit from the baking dish and lay on a shallow serving plate. Pour the remaining liquid over the top and serve three halves per plate with cream or crème fraiche and the almond biscuits.